Thursday, November 29, 2012

Something yellow?

I believe it is called the 'sun' and it made an appearance today - at last. That and an absolute stonking frost. So the lanes are skating rinks, the last of the leaves have gone from my apple tree and the birds are starting to look hungry. I have seen more fieldfares and redwings this autumn/winter than I have seen for a long time but then the winds are in the right direction. And we have also been visited by that delightful small bird, the firecrest, who has been searching up and down my apple tree for the small insects it loves to dine on. My favourite winter plant Cornus, Midwinter Fire is just coming into its own. The leaves go a delightful, bright pale yellow (sounds a direct contradiction in terms but isn't) and its stems are the most stunning orangey red. I use it in virtually every planting that I do as I find its cheerful stems, and the fact that it does not get as large as other Cornus an invaluable addition to the winter garden. As it is now pitch dark I cannot post a picture, but I will endeavour to do so in the next few days when hopefully we will have some more sunshine!

1 comment:

  1. We had a brief bit of sun too, but back to thick frost and feeding a staggering amount of birds. Bitter cold here - glad I got the tulip bulbs in at November; planted a version of fragrant tulip which I'm looking forward to seeing come up.

    Hope you're doing well - the cold does me not a whole lot of favours but I'm hobblin' on. Much love!

    ReplyDelete