Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Shocking

I know that there will be an outcry in the media tomorrow after the shocking revelations this evening about the abuse in care homes. If nothing else it underlines to me how vital is the environment that we live in and the environment that those who are mentally vulnerable live in. I know how very lucky I am to be able to improve people's lives through the creation of gardens that make them feel secure and safe. I also know how brain injury, disease, and neurological illnesses can make people uncomfortable to be around. We are simply not good at dealing with mental illnesses; however they occur.

I am fortunate enough to see the transformation in people's lives when they can engage with a garden whether it be looking at flowers, feeling the grass under their toes, or digging a bed. Getting outside, having a routine, watching things grow produces a deep seated satisfaction within us - whatever our mental state. Surely horticulture should really start to be used as a mainstream therapy rather than being looked at askance by mental and healthcare charities/institutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment