Thursday, February 4, 2010

Interesting times!

I sometimes wonder why I do this work, and then I meet people or read what they have written and I know why.

Clare's poem, featured on our pages on our website, makes me smile every time I read it. The fact that she wrote it tells me more than anything about the difference that the work we did in her garden made. She has huge windows from her bedroom that overlook the ever-changing scape of her garden. I hope, that with her permission, we may show you some more of what her garden 'does' over the years. It is a credit to her determination, her wonderful mother's vision and the fantastic people who assist Clare in leading a life that has a huge amount of meaning. She is a seriously inspirational lady.

On the other side of the coin, is the work we are doing on the Hampton Court Palace garden for Combat Stress. We are hoping to obtain additional sponsorship. Our fantastic suppliers have already come up with the goods, but we need more assistance to make this garden a reality, both at Hampton Court and at Tyrwhitt House, the headquarters of Combat Stress. Then I see an article written by a British squaddie in Afghanistan, which is take on Rudyard Kipling's 1895 poem 'The British Soldier'. And I know why I do this work. I know what the fallout from PTSD and Combat Stress looks like, and both Fi Boyle (the designer of the garden) and myself are going to do our utmost to ensure that those that come back from active service get the best assistance possible. If you have any ideas about who we can approach or how we can get further financial assistance please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Hm, a lot to think about. If there was a charity which could help in these regards, you could try and write some grants - and in return, try and raise funding through JustGiving, which is an online fundraising-charity website which is catching on in popularity. I've thought of setting up just such a thing for Gardening for Disabled. It's extra work on your already rather full workload, but I'll look into things a bit more if I can. I seem to be able to find all sorts of obscure stuff on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I will indeed look into it. As you know so well any assistance is gratefully received.

    Hope life is treating you well - the sun is actually shining today!!

    ReplyDelete